When I joined Dollamur in 2012, the company’s online presence left much to be desired. With limited resources and by instilling sound web practices and fundamental process, I built a system that increased web traffic and online sales by an average of 80%.
On my arrival at Dollamur, the web presence was underperforming for a company its size. The main site was on a standard wordpress blog, with an ecommerce store running on the Volusion sub-domain. In addition, a previous web manager had attempted to build out online communities around Dollamur mats using four separate Ning Social sites. Analytics indicated these sites were not engaging our target audiences.
Identifying site needs
Before I began designing and developing a new site, it was essential to identify the primary stakeholder needs. I interviewed the top sales people in each division and shadowed several sales calls to deepen my understanding of the user base and sales process. I also had to establish what resources were available to me. I was the only designer/developer in the company, so moving forward decisions for efficiency had to be taken into account.
Design and development decisions
Based on my conversations with sales team members and customers, I made several key decisions for the new site:
I went with Magento’s eCommerce CMS because it offered a scalable solution; also used by some of the best online eCommerce sites such as Nike, and Warby Parker.
I divided the site by sport as to speak to the appropriate audience and would not be turned off by irrelevant imagery (i.e. a cheerleader would not be presented MMA fighter images and products).
I began and populated a News section to house regular updates from the sales teams, and favored established social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc.).
Once the site was launched my priority turned to site management and optimization. Dollamur.com was not ranking at the level that a leading company should be. I began employing fundamental SEO practices to establish Dollamur.com as number one:
I captured and measured conversions and analytics.
User research and stakeholder interviews helped me zero in on our twenty most profitable competitive keywords.
I rewrote much of the copy to align with our target audience’s searches.
I used the news feed to keep our content fresh and sharable.
Within the first two months, we took a leap in our organic ranking. These changes had established Dollamur.com as number one in sixteen of our twenty competitive keywords. In my time as Dollamur’s webmaster, we were able to grow traffic and online sales by an average of 80%.